Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Hair Events and other Hair topics.
If you're in the hair business, hair shows and conventions can be so much fun. They can also suck up your professional development budget in one fell swoop if you're not careful! If you're planning on attending a hair show, plan your strategy ahead of time.
Prior to the Show
1. Start early. Many shows and conventions offer discounts if you purchase tickets in advance.
2. Download a program. Depending on the size of the convention, several events may be going on at the same time. Plan your time so that attend the classes that are most relevant to you and your business.
3. Book your accommodation. Book a hotel early to secure the best deal – and ensure you get a room at all. Even the show is relatively close, consider getting a room for one night. Conventions frequently host parties, and you won't want to drive home afterward.
4. Plan your look. At hair shows, people are there to see and be seen. You want your hair to be perfectly styled with fresh color and cut. Choose amazing outfits, too.
5. Stock up on business cards. Conventions are about networking.
At the Show
1. Get a map. Product lines and industry professionals have booths. This may be an opportunity for you to meet that pro or check out a new product line.
2. Watch your timing. You want to attend several trainings but also have time to network and check out the exhibits.
3. Plan your spending. Unless an exhibit is offering a serious discount on product, save it until you need a new order. However, hair shows are excellent locations to view equipment the beauty supply can't stock.
4. Talk to everyone. Networking is the name of the game.